View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 03:07 PM

BimmerM3inGA is on a distinguished road
The plain and simple reason I sold it is that it was so unreliable that I was afraid to drive it. It's not an exaggeration to say that if I went somewhere in it and made it home without some sort of failure, I would be surprised.

So I was faced with a choice: Keep it and keep putting money into it so I can occasionally take it out for a nervous drive, or cut my losses. In the end I decided that the best way to get out of a hole is to stop digging.

I can deal with just about any mechanical problem, but it was also plagued with electronic gremlins that are damn near impossible to track down. The most troubling was that the instrument cluster would occasionally go berserk. And when it happened, it was also shut off the A/C. I live in south GA. One could easily spend a small fortune trying to isolate that problem with no guarantee of success. It would also sometimes drain the battery when parked for only a few hours, so I had to carry a jump box with me all the time. There were random warnings on the MID ranging from air suspension faults to low oil pressure. No way to know if they were phantom warnings, or not.

Anyway, the list goes on and on.
2003 Z4 3.0i Sport - Sterlinggrau Metallic/Black (Sold)
2009 Mini JCW (The Wife's)
2015 i3 REx - Arravani Gray/Tera World (Daily Driver)

Sponsored Links