View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 12:47 AM

RocketyMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post

And at the end of it all, the class 10.9 or 8.8 quantitatively specifies the minimum loads that will cause it to yield (initial plastic deformation) and fail (ultimate tensile stress) under load.
Not trying to go off on a tangent for this post...but.

Again...classification (for metric) of bolts&nuts are done by material composition and heat treatment. These bolts are still class 8.8 regardless that they were milled, and if anything, it would work-harden them a little--but only on that surface where they were cut and not very deep since any little heat generated wouldn't even have enough time to permeate the medium long enough to form any different crystalline structure to change the mechanical properties, if indeed that is how K-MAC made these eccentric bolts.

That actually might be why K-MAC decided to go with class 8.8 because it's more malleable than 10.9 or higher (aka for machining costs). Then...probably tried to offset the material difference of thread contact with using a 15mm deep nut instead of a standard 12mm for an M12 because part of the thread pattern is compromised and 1/3 missing--or whichever. And then!...to throw another wrench at it--went with an ultra-fine thread-pitch for more clamping force to help accommodate any lack thereof.

But anyway, thank you for your input. I'll def repost to this thread if the bolt fails. But I do not anticipate doing any towing or severe off-roading that would overly stress the suspension components. *fingers crossed*

Sponsored Links