View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 11:21 PM

e30mpower is on a distinguished road
Keys in EWS III - weird question

I've been tinkering with this 2004 3.0 I just bought and had to reteach myself coding with NCS, etc. So when I bought it, I only received key #4. It's not something I'm really concerned with at the moment since I still have key #4 as opposed to #5, but if I order a new master from the dealer, will the car recognize this as key #5 for coding purposes or will I be able to tell it tell it that I'm replacing a lower-numbered key thus enabling the new key to have its own settings?

The information I've read in ISTA is confusing at best. It says that when ordering a key the sequential number is coded into it upon production and is not changeable (even when old keys are deactivated in the module), so once all 10 available keys are lost a new EWS module has to be ordered but it doesn't mention anything about coded key memory (like driveaway locking) for 5 through 10.

Did I do a decent job explaining my question or should I just drag myself to bed and try again later this week? I've had a long weekend. lol

Service History

Mods and Retrofits: Satellite radio, MediaBridge, DEPO HIDs + LED AEs, M-B W164 rear-light mod, clear corners, BSW x108 Subwoofer System, illuminated door handles, titanium grill, compass/auto-dim mirror

Traded 9/1/16 -- 5UXFA53533LV80809 -- If you know his whereabouts, please contact me.

Sponsored Links