View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 01:29 AM

crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
As the Fed. Govt. works now I don't see anything significant changes happening for many years. The exception might be when we have a President with the same party the majority in both the Senate and House. That would have to stay that way for several Presidential terms and if the other party ever got control the standard procedure now is to reverse everything that was done.

Term limits and having the House and Senate health and retirement benefits the same as 'regular' citizens would help a lot but I think that's a pipe dream.
I agree.

Some are scared of that sort of thing happening. Rightly so. But frankly, after the lack of any progress on the national debt, the deficit, or any of the areas I mentioned above... I'm ready to see some changes. If they aren't good, we can reassess in 2 years, and then again in 4 years. But the average citizen's place in the country has been getting worse under both parties when power was shared between the 3 branches of government.

Rolling back previous policy progress has been the MO for sure. But, if the change is good enough it's harder to roll back. See the ACA. Lower class and lower middle class (including Republican voters) were able to afford insurance again (or ever?) and so the ACA has been very hard to replace. It's not a perfect situation as I don't think private insurance companies should have to cover pre-existing conditions. That's not insurance anymore. Like calling to insure your home after it's burned to the ground. But maybe a public and private option? I don't know, I'm no expert. All I know is that affordable health care (paid in taxes) should be available to all.

But I digress, I realize the thread is specifically about Trump, and it is convenient to blame him. But we live in a country of diverse peoples. The reason for the pandemic being what it is here is primarily the health care system, then the people. We have young people who don't listen to anything (I didn't keep up to date on current events before 30, unless it was 9/11 or something of the like), we have protests of all sorts going on all over the country, we've had a slew of disasters and have a few going on right now (good luck to those around Beaumont and the Sabine River tonight), the SJW folk berating everyone else, and we have the "masks infringe on my freedoms" people. Diversity is what makes this country great, but you take the good with the bad. We aren't all going to agree.

What it comes down to is that Americans have forgotten to value the person next to them as a fellow American. Instead, they are a competitor. We're a selfish bunch of a$$holes who want the greatest slice of the proverbial pie as possible. Whether it be through government handouts or shady business practices. You see it on the roads everyday, the grocery store, in government, etc.

I just want my 1 or 2 acres in the country so I can leave the crazy people to do their thing.

2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)

Sponsored Links