View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 03:10 AM
Premier Member

aureliusmax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5Alpine View Post
I recently purchased a 2003 4.6is and immediately noticed a loud thump from the rear going over certain bumps and a loud creaking/thump from the rear when accelerating from a stop. I believe from research that it is the subframe bushings so my question is is it ok to drive the car until next Tuesday when they are getting replaced? I just worry about the issue pulling the bolts out of the body or possibly damaging/cracking the mounting points like an E46 M3.
That's a common thing to have the rear sub bush evaporate, had the same issue went through with it while I was in there did every suspension component on the vehicle as there's like 80 bushings in these cars and they all wear out when the 100th owner dumps the non-maintained vehicle onto the next guy. All my bushings were completely broken and so slam on a good start.
The bentley E53 manual says you need to completely drop the subframe out but there's a special tool I used that lets you remove and install the bushings just with a floor jack and one bolt removed, this saved me a lot of time and patience. I also heated the exhaust hangars with torch to bent it out of the way and then back again for access to the rear subframe bolts.

Sponsored Links