View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 12:10 AM

PastorDaddy is on a distinguished road
Cooling system HELP!!!

My 09- x5 started having water pump issues about a month ago. The electric fan initially turned on full speed. It was diagnosed as a non functioning water pump. I bought a new pump, thermostat, amd a local mechanic I staled for me. Got it home, about a week later, the same exact issue. This time I had it towed to a mechanic I've trusted in the past, who had it for a few days, said there was a short in the wiring harness for the pump. They replaced the shorted wire, pump ran great afterwards.
Now a week later (this was a few days ago now), same thing.
Every time this happens , the same symptoms occur- cooling fan comes on, the the engine overheating warning comes on.. so the last mechanic actually towed my x5 back to their shop (on their dime), they've had it now for about 2 days now, and they said when the truck first came in, they unplugged the cooling fan, plugged it back in and it has ran fine since. I talked to the mechanic tonite, he said they have corrected many small issues that may cause electrical failure, and they have probed every electrical pathway going to the pump, even shook and tried to recreate a "short" or "loose connector" situation, and it still runs fine.. They tole me they know something is definitely wrong, but cannot identify it unless it fails again while they are troubleshooting it..
Do any of you have any suggestions/experience with what this could be, or what could be looked at - what are we missing?
Thank you all!

Sponsored Links