View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 05:34 AM

Squiggy is on a distinguished road
M62TU timing chain tensioner - which is best?

I came across a video blogger 'Timms BMW Repairs' who said the M62 can do hundreds of thousands of miles without replacing the timing chain guides IF two important rules are followed. (1) change your oil at regular intervals with good oil to keep the timing chain tensioner functioning properly (so that it does not get gummed up and fail to tension the chain as it should) and (2) replace the tensioner at regular intervals. He said the guides fail not because they become brittle over time, but because improper chain tension causes the metal chain to slap against the plastic and break it apart. I don't know how accurate his statements are, but I have decided to follow his advice regardless of whether I also replace the timing chain guides.

There seem to be a few different tensioner choices out these days. Primarily the OEM style and newer 'longer spring' style. I heard the longer style has a weaker spring so I'm not sure if it's actually better then the OEM tensioner. I guess when in doubt go with OEM but thought I would ask you guys your thoughts. Thanks

Sponsored Links