View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 12:05 AM

EMT760RR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrix2k View Post
Yeah, it's weird that the German brands tend to use seals that don't hold up over time. I believe some of it, ironically, is due to environmental regulations in Germany. My experience has been the leaks are usually an issue that comes with time and doesn't really track with mileage. Most of the 2014+ BMWs I've worked on are dry FWIW, it seems like after about 10 years give or take a couple, they just start leaking like crazy.
My brothers E90 had a oil pan gasket leak and oil filter housing as did my BMW X-5 ( E70). On mine I replaced Valve cover gasket, oil plan, oil filter housing. Then all that brittle plastic on the interior and coolant hoses and outlet pipe from the block. They don't age well... Sounds like the new ones are better? there's just something about the 07-13's where they cut corners or the bean counters used the cheapest gaskets and plastics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
BMW didn't fight the moronic use of biodegradable seals they lasted about 16 years on our e53s
That makes sense. My older X3 E89 was bone dry for the most part. Much better built.. Well... Except for the transfercase " worm gear" that broke apart. BMW used plastic on a transfercase drive gear.. That was a real hoot taking it out in pieces. Amazon actually makes a aluminum replacement from China.. The Irony... the Chinese coming to the rescue. No idea why BMW engineers thought was good choice for a X drive AWD system. Planned obsolesce?

Last edited by EMT760RR; 12-31-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Sponsored Links