View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 05:52 PM

AVB-AMG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Seems like gaslighting to ask if anyone would be okay with that image. But no, that man should be arrested with all the others present inside the Capitol's restricted area. Which I'm sure has already happened. Last arrest count I saw was 52, but that was back on Thursday so it could be higher now.
crystalworks:

While I agree with your stated sentiment here, it really does not matter what you or I alone believe the meaning of the Confederate Battle Flag (CBF) is or represents. What is important is what the majority of Americans believe the symbolism of the CBF is today and therefore why the stated have now decided that is was no longer appropriate for it to be seen or flown over public buildings or on publicly owned property or as part of a state flag.

What most Americans now understand is that the CBF was not some harmless cultural signifier of southern pride and states rights but was also the most conspicuous and polarizing symbol of group of states that wanted to leave the union in order to preserve their agrarian economy that was fueled by the institution of oppressive slavery.

As has been stated over and over in the national press, the debate over the fate of the CBF, pits people who know the truth against people who will not accept it. Five years ago, it took the horrific act of a deranged 21 yr. old, avowed white supremacist, who posted photographs of himself holding the CBF, while espousing in his manifesto a desire to initiate a race war, then murdering nine black people praying inside a church in downtown Charleston, SC to finally put on center stage one issue of strong symbols in this country and motivate amongst the general public a growing sense of outrage and offense that was even felt by many white conservatives who had previously supported the CBF. It took that horrifying act to shred the lies, to shame those who took pride in their unwillingness to be shamed, and to finally lead the South Carolina state legislature to make the right decision on the CBF, to allow at least that state to turn the page of history and move forward.

I think most of us agree that these historical symbols of hate should be eradicated as much as possible because that is the right thing to do. But I also believe that most of us understand that what they represent will never disappear and will only evolve into other, newer symbols.

AVB-AMG
2014 BMW M6 Coupe (gone)
2013 BWM 335i xDrive Coupe (gone)
2011 BMW 335xi turbo coupe (gone)
2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG (gone)
2007 BMW 335ci twin turbo coupe (gone)
2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG (gone)
2004 BMW X5 4.4i (w/full Aero Kit - gone)
2001 BMW X5 4.4i (w/full Aero Kit - gone)
2000 Mercedes-Benz E430 Sport (gone)
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL (owned for 48 years)

Sponsored Links