View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 06:26 PM

c-bass is on a distinguished road
The window is now fixed and it's time to pick some error codes to try to diagnose.

The misfires seemed an easy enough place to start off with as I had some spare coils laying around. I got them swapped out, cleared the codes and started up the motor. After a couple minutes I shut it down, did a quick bluetooth odb scan and didn't see any cyl 2 or 6 misfire. That's a good sign because the misfires would come up immediately after I cleared them before. Must have been a couple bad coils right?

I'd like to point out that at no point during any of these codes did the X run rough, hesitate on acceleration or feel like it was underperforming in any way. Just a little uneven idle. Even when the back end was doing it's fog machine impersonation the engine would still feel fine.

I have a few other M54 based vehicles, they all have a check engine light, run "fine" and I've put lots of miles on them so I wasn't too worried here. Now that it was not throwing the cylinder misfire codes the rest would just fall into place right??

So let's take a drive to the big city and get some paperwork done for this thing and run a bunch of errands. I mean what's the worst that could happen right? (cue the stranger things music)

The next morning I jump the car and head off to the big city. It's about a 250km drive and my first stop is my mechanic buddy. He gives it a quick look, comments how it looks great and I stole it for the price I paid, signs some papers and I'm off.

I drive around the block about 200 feet, park the car and run out to the convenience store. I fire the engine up and right away I feel the car stumbling. Seriously??

Shut it off, restart it and now it seems to be running ok again. Hmmm

I drive a few km down the road and it starts to stumble again. I can feel it misfiring as I'm trying to accelerate and the car is vibrating. I was meeting someone a couple km away so I limped it along there and shut if off again.

The person I was meeting is my liqui moly and sometimes parts supplier who also happens to be a working mechanic. I mention to him the stumbling, I checked the coil etc etc but other than the same things I thought of he didn't have any other ideas. Oh well, guess we'll keep going.

The next couple stops were also a few km in between and the whole time it wasn't running great. I finally made it somewhere I was able to investigate a little further and had a look under the hood for something obvious. I figure there's a chance maybe a coil wasn't seated well so I took them all out and had a look. Nothing blatantly obvious...

I hung out with a buddy for about an hour and then it was time to keep moving. The car started ok but within a few km it was misfiring again. GRRRRR!!!

I got to my last destination before the long drive back and contemplated my options. I'm too far away from my free CAA tow range and I sure as shit aren't paying for a tow truck out of pocket. Seeing as this was in full COVID swing I didn't really have any options where I could crash overnight in the city and realistically it would only put off the same issues until tomorrow.

So what to do? what to do?...remember how I said I wasn't a fan of intermittent? If this thing is going to die on me I might as well be behind the wheel and getting closer to home base right?

I had to make it at least 100km to be back in free CAA tow range so that's the goal I decided on. Let's make it back to tow truck range!

I wasn't feeling super confident and I definitely didn't want to be stuck by the side of the highway in the middle of the night, but I've never been one to make the most sensible decisions so might as well get going.

I fire up the engine aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand....it's NOT misfiring!!!

Now prior to getting in the vehicle I thought it would be in my best interest to get a meal into me in case I do get stuck on the side of the road, but now that this thing is running "fine" I don't want to give it the opportunity to change it's mind...screw it let's go!! I'll eat tomorrow

So I hit the road

Sponsored Links