View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 03:25 PM
Premier Member

bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
Gee, you guys are making me sad as those miles pile up. My pretty one has been on two or three monthly warm up runs and has racked up 170 miles in 2021. It takes the flat spotted tires quite a while to get warmed up, so the first 1 mile or so is like they are D shaped. Makes everything rattle away. With all the shut downs in my client list, I seem to live in my home office 5 days a week. Runs are mainly places where the wagon or the minivan are the safest choices. I had a lunch meeting only to come out and find shopping carts had crossed over 33 lanes in the wind and hit my lunch partners car. Rear bumper and the entire drivers side was raked and abused. Two dents in the driver door added to his pain. I got one scratch that hopefully will buff out. I guess I will now park even father away and behind a wall at that restaurant in the future.

The new OE Michelins tires I installed last year - Michelin Latitude Diamaris, are so much harsher than the Michelin Latitude Tour HP that I put on way back in 2013. They flat spot real fast and hold it longer than anything else I own. Road noise is way up as well. Grip and control is much sharper however so that is the trade off. I would have re-shoed the X5 with Michelin's Latitude Tours but they no longer make the rear tires (YOU BASTARDS!)

In case anyone cares, I got 19k out of the rears and could have gotten much more if I had tracked their wear patterns and adjusted the air inflation rate to match my lone driver and driving style more frequently. No weight, no need for rear tire pressure! Currently running 32psi front and 31 psi rear.
I purchased the OE tires after the originals wore out the first time. Had a similar experience as you. Over the years I have tried several other brands. Didn't like any one of them based on traction, wear, side wall rollover, road noise, comfort and cost. That's my 1-10 value calculation.

Best value has been Continental Extreme Contacts. Good traction, wear longer, good in wet or dry, traction fine, a little more roll over than some others, quiet, nice ride and cost much less than most other options. I am on my second set and recently put them on our X5M as well.

Sponsored Links