View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 10:11 AM

upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalahariBX5 View Post
Shop tells me I’m in need of new control arms and wants to replace the entire part on both sides with OEM equipment at around $450 each. Now based on a quick search I’m finding these parts for around $100 a piece.

My question is, is it necessary to replace the whole control arm because of a small amount of play or is it more effective to replace the bushings with something like a polyurethane bushing from Energy suspension?

Q#2. How difficult would it be to perform a bushing replacement in the driveway?

Based on me being the second owner the lower front control arms have never been serviced.

2004 E53 X5 3.0 completely stock.

Thanks in advance
What type of mechanic ability do you have? Do you have specialty tools like air tools, a ball joint separator tool, a hydraulic press? I installed polyurethane bushings on the lower control arms in my driveway, but I'm a pretty knowledgeable mechanic (my father was an ASE certified mechanic) and I have a lot of tools including air tools. If you are just looking to save money, buy a Toyota or Honda next time instead of a BMW.
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD

Sponsored Links