View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 06:58 PM

Frankiesayrelax is on a distinguished road
Strange Metallic Scraping Sound?? SOLVED

Original post and symptoms below. The sound was from these kind of metal grating inserts inside of my aftermarket exhaust tips! After some time the came loose and were essentially rattling and spinning slightly causing the metal scraping sound I was hearing. In addition I took to a muffler shop and they added some brackets to my straight piped system (right about where the resonator was).

Hi all any guesses/suggestions/tips/tests appreciated. I’ll attach a video of the sound I uploaded to YouTube.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SJEzuzgGi6U?feature=share

Vehicle in question: 2006 4.4, just over 125k

So I have a strange metallic scraping sound that happens under load (slightly through in N). Presents at low speeds and RPMs (sub 25 mph and 2k RPM), seems to emanate mostly from the passenger side at the front of the vehicle although it is clearly audible form the driver side as well. Doesn’t seem to be a rotational noise (as it does not increase with speed/RPM). My fear is torque converter/transmission/transfer case. I have checked the front suspension. I recently replaced both front axles (should I suspect?). I’ve heard belt noises before and recently replaced the tensioner pulley so I’m doubtful that is the culprit (and again this is a metallic scraping sound). I also recently changed both front and rear diff oils (both were still fairly light for their age and had no evidence of metal shavings, although the front diff didn’t seem to drain out much oil. Suspect?). I do have a slow oil drip at either the oil pan or crankcase covers, but doubt this would contribute? In addition, I haven’t gotten around yet to a decent power steering leak although steering/drivability isn’t affected. Btw, it’s straight piped.

List of things I’ve checked:

- wheel hub/bearing
- rotors + brake pad
- sub frame bushings (control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, track rod ends, etc.)
- guibo is new although I reused the old bolts (I know, I know, supposed to use new)
- CSB seems in good condition and was recently greased up
- just had it aligned

Well, I’m stumped, which is not that hard but still, usually I’m not so any help at all is much appreciated my friends. Cheers.

Last edited by Frankiesayrelax; 05-17-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Sponsored Links