View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 05:00 PM

thstone is on a distinguished road
Pro Tips for Towing:
#1: Use a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway control
#2: Use side mirror extensions so you can see around the trailer.
#3: Don’t be in a hurry. If you’re used to driving the interstates at 80+ mph (like I am), 65mph will feel like you’re barely moving but I found it best to relax and enjoy the drive.

I haven’t encountered any real problems with the X5 while towing, but I have a concern that that the rear of the X5 sags under the load of the trailers. The sag isn’t extreme but it’s definitely there.

This might be the result of the weight distribution hitches that come with the rental trailers might not be perfectly adjusted specifically for the X5 or it might be that the X5 rear springs are a little soft for the load. There isn’t any rubbing or bottoming out over even the harshest potholes and the handling is fine but it looks a bit wonky.

To address this concern, I am installing a pair of Air Lift 1000 air bags in the rear to better level the X5 while towing. These air bags won’t increase the tow capacity of the X5, but they will allow me to add air to better level the vehicle when towing and release air when not towing.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links