View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 11:08 PM

jokgga is on a distinguished road
2004 X5 3.0 audio (hifi) system not working.. any help appreciated

Hey all,

Figured I would introduce myself to this forum with my first issue on this X5, I just bought.

I am trying to install a replacement MID unit or preferably an Android head unit but am having trouble getting sound.

This car is non nav / non dsp and has the HiFi standard system amp in the back turnk and is also set up for a CD changer/Phone :

S639 Preparation F Mobile Phone Cpl. USA/CDN
S645 BMW US Radio
S650 CD Drive
S661 Radio BMW Business (C43)
S676 HiFi Speaker System
S692 Preparation, BMW 6-CD Changer I-Bus

I bought this car and the original Multi Unit turned on but had no sound and the pixels were mostly dead. I took it out and replaced it with a AVIN Android Unit and assumed it would be plug and play as my unit did not have DSP / NAV. When I did install (just the 40 pin plug), the sound was working the first day (with a giant buzz on the rear driver side speaker) but it was working.

The next day, the system turned on but I had no sound or buzzing. I tried another android unit (Seicane) and same thing, no sound. I finally tried an OEM Multi Unit that I bought and tried plugging that in, but it won't even power on (same now with my old broken one).

I am assuming that my rear amp is fried but wanted to check with anyone here if that is likely the case. Is it my understanding that the rear amp powers the speakers and the android headunit that connects to the 40PIN is just connecting to the amp in the rear.

Also would love to get feedback on what my best options are:

1.) Replace OEM AMP 65128379376 - Easiest Method, but will this be enough to power an android unit? I am not too concerned about sound quality.

2.) Replace Aftermarket - Assuming this would be a much more complex method and would require a professional; however, is this worth the effort as I do see cheaper new Alpine Amps.

3.) Do they android units have a built in amp and is that why my sound was working for a day?

4.) What could the reason be why my oem Multi Units won't even turn on? Are they locked until I reset my batter?

Notably looking for help from @Crowz who I have been reading posts on.

Thanks all for the help.

Will

Sponsored Links