View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 05:19 PM

llibnep is on a distinguished road
rear wheels trying to keep forward movement, front wheels fighting to stop

A few notes for some background..

*2003 E53 Pre-facelift X5 4.4i (non xdrive)
*While seemingly solving my trifecta problem in my last thread I noticed that the front left cv axle appeared to be new and have been very recently changed.
*While using PA Soft I noted that there is a mileage descrepancy between the EWS and every other module, (no tamper dot is present), and the VIN on the EGS belongs to a 1998 BMW 7 Series. I checked the part number on the transmission(ZF5HP24) plate, and the part number, 1058 000 029, cross references with the ZF part installed only in the E53 4.4i, so I feel that the TCM has been changed and this replacement is from the 1998 7 Series.

(see attached)

Now the rest of the story...

The road test.. I drove approx 1 mile and then after a quick acceleration, a problem, the best way to describe it is it felt like the rear wheels were trying to keep forward movement but the front wheels were not cooperating and fighting trying to stop the vehicle and not like a brake lock up, almost like a winding up then release of the front wheels over and over. I was able to get it back home at very slow speed with no real acceleration. Into the garage, up on 4 jack stands. Started it up put into D and while to back wheels were spinning the front were not and neither was the shaft from the TC to the front differential until I stepped on the accelerator pushing the RPM's up to over 1500rpm then the front wheels moved barely, like stuttering, and what seemed like a shutter while moving seemingly fighting the movemnt to the point of when i released the accelerator they immediately stopped and snapped back a few inches. Now, during this time I can move the front wheels freely with my hands and the shaft from the TC moves accordingly, left front is a little stiffer than the right.

I could really use the forums help in determining what my next step is to determine the cause. Anything I should try? Any correlation to the 1998 7 Series TCM? The apparently recently changed LF cv axle? Any specific relationship to free spinning the wheels by hand with movement of the TC shaft either in P, N, or D?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links