View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 04:37 PM

X5chemist is on a distinguished road
BMW X5 3.0i - newbee

Hi Ya'll,
I've been lurking around since December. I picked up a nice '06 survivor about 100 miles from Austin, Tx. The X5 popped up on Christmas day. We bought it the next day in Waco, Tx. I had looked at few in San Antonio, Houston, and locally. All were in bad shape. We practically gave up. This titanium silver X5 has a few flaws but nothing major. It was cheaper than others posted in the area. It was worth saving in my book. One of last ones built too. '06 April build date. I have not found a website to completely decode the VIN.
Maintenance was poorly kept. I have found evidence of a few things replaced. However, it will get major updates to make it long road trip worthy. I've made a list based on post and information on this board. The previous owners put on new tires, replace/rebuilt the A/C system, spark plugs, and new brakes all the way around. All in the last two years.

Major fixes so far:
Passenger side air bag error code fixed by using a bypass so it's away active
Alternator replacement
Oil filter gasket (saving me 1 quart every 500 miles) Three weeks and no oil loss.
Fuse 74 pulled
New final stage resistor replaced
New electronic key cylinder
New left driver regulator
Trans oil/filter change
Transfer gear replaced and upgraded
Transfer case oil (diff oil change coming soon)
Replaced a broken rear seat buckle
License plate LED cover and bulbs
Interior burned bulbs replaced
Two additional keys, that hurt
Washer pump
All windows and sun roof ceramic tinted
Lower ball joints (thrust arm bushings next)
Engine bay detailing
Additional glove box flash light
Upper radiator hose due to a leak on small reservoir connection
New A/C - auxiliary fan
New AMG Duracell high crank battery

Major items left before really digging into it.
Lower engine cleaning
Differential oil changes
Hand brake adjustments
Water pump check - upgrade to a Stewart water pump
Coolant system update
CCV delete
New Iridium single tip plugs
Wider taller tires
Disable the rear pano glass. Everything works great now.
Replace the tire tool kit.
Suspension updates
Rear suspenion updates - the rear tires lean in a little at the top.
New struts and shock - look original.

Special help needed for:
Transfer case reset for clutch wear. It's the only code stored after fixing and resetting all the others.
Coding to lower temp gauge readings

The most pressing issue to address: no sleep mode! Sleep mode stopped working around the Texas Feb freeze over! No sleep mode destroyed the last battery. With the troubleshooting done so far, my next step is to have the GM 3 fixed/checked out. For now, it's on a trickle charger when not in use. Or driven everyday.

I'm looking forward to learning more about these X5. Everyone thinks they are cool. I had offers on the same day I bought it. Peeps know I fix and keep maintenance up all vehicles. The plan? Put another 100,000+ miles on it!

Last edited by X5chemist; 06-08-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Sponsored Links