View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 12:43 PM

Clockwork is on a distinguished road
So, over the past 10 years, I've bencome very knowledgeable of the power folding mirror motor issues and why the mirror stops folding IN or why it can be sloppy.
Typically its either:
a lost metal tang over the limit switch OR has been placed back on incorrectly,
the metal tab on the powerfold motor housing has broken open (allowing sloppage of internal gears) OR now in this latest instance,
the middle/connecting gear is stripped.

The symptoms are the mirror may move a bit then you just hear a "gear slipping" sound or a ratcheting sound and no movement of the mirror assembly

So this week past, I found another weak link in the system.
For years, I had known about the blackish/grey metal motor housing that breaks near the "finger tab" But even is that is perfect, and the motor won't fold in, and you definitely have a properly functioning limit switch, then the latest culprit is the intermediate gear INSIDE the motor housing, that connects between the actual motor gear and the gear that turns the exterior (mirror assembly itself).
I circled in red the main problems in the pic.
If you can find another mirror motor at a pick n pull yard, thats probably your cheapest bet BUT with no assurance that gear is not stripped either (if indeed the gear is your issue)

I believe a few companies sell the mirror motor rebuild kits like these, so find the cheapest and orde rit up BUT you most linkly ONLY need the two items I have circled in red, to do any repairs that are needed to the Motor or motor housing.
One note, is to make SURE you Mark/Score/Clock the way the exterior metal housing sits over the black plastic column (which has the 3 top torx bolts) by marking with a silver sharpie across the TOP so when you put the motor/housing all back together you assembly it correctly.
Attached Images

BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

Sponsored Links