View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 12:50 PM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
What did you do to / for your E53 today??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdc101 View Post
I would agree that studless snow tires are great to run for about 9 months out of the year. I like the fact that they don't need to be changed at a particular date like studded tires do, and I typically put them on early or run them late, depending on how much time I have. In fact, road test data shows that they are usually significantly stickier than all-seasons in rainy conditions, and even in dry weather as long as the temperatures are not hot. But in the summer they definitely do not grip as well as a normal all-season. All the data I have seen is that they are a liability in hot/dry conditions. Unfortunately there is limited tire test data out there for this sort of comparison, but the data I have seen it is a significant drop-off in grip. I admit I have not driven on mine in hot weather other than a handful of times, but when I did I could tell they felt greasy in those conditions and I could tell it was time to change tires.

Edmunds, for example, did a tire test and found their studless tires took 155 feet to stop from 60mph, compared to 131 feet for their all-season and 120 feet for the summer tires they had tested. I don't know what tires you are running, Andrew, but I definitely hope that others think twice before they take your recommendation.

Except they do the hot road stop test on clean dry pavement not the oily Chicago roads I drive on more often than not.

I drive about 20 total hours a year (of 450 or so) in conditions bad for my tires, it's absolutely worth the trade off to stick with the soft compound year 'round for me. I get it's not for everyone but after the third minor accident avoided due to winter tires in summer I'm a permanent convert.

So if you drive mostly in city where enough traffic keeps the roads covered in an oily film I promise over much better traction than any summer or "3 season" tire.

[mention]Bdc101 [/mention] Is absolutely correct about doing your homework if 1 season tires are best for you. I wouldn't even consider if below about 43.4 latitude. Also depending on when/how you drive.

I commute about 75 miles 140 minutes regularly to Chicago and the last 20 minutes is a greasy slip n slide almost everyday also most of my drives are done and night so even in summer it's 70-75f 21-23c so those are significant factors in will studdless year 'round work for you.

Also like bdc mentions I can absolutely feel my tires turn gooey at high temps and I moderate my driving to compensate for the loss of grip and also to not shed 1000s of miles off the lifespan each trip.

Last edited by andrewwynn; 09-15-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Sponsored Links