View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 05:57 AM

wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellian Corvette View Post
Well, good thinking.

According to my vin decode the 4.6 does indeed have servotronic, and the 3.0 does not.

Now, I'm embarrassed to ask because I thought that was just a standard feature on pretty much every BMW. What exactly is the difference technically?
Servotronic is an electric steering assistance system - like hydraulic power steering but electric.

According to Mr. Steffen Koch - BMW Unit Head Steering System Development.

Power steering: This assisted steering is one of the greatest evolutionary steps in steering technology. It boosts the driver’s steering power hydraulically. Before power steering, parking a car was an involuntary workout. Only with the advent of the power steering system could larger and heavier vehicles be offered to a greater pool of customers, notes Koch.

Servotronic: The next development in hydraulic power steering was Servotronic, which makes it possible to adjust the amount of steering assistance to suit the speed of the vehicle, explains Koch. Since Servotronic assists with maneuvers, little effort is required from the driver. And it provides stability at higher speeds. In contrast to plain power steering, both are now possible. Koch adds, “So not only is it easy to park, it also delivers sharp handling when driving fast, with the focus on driving pleasure.”

Sponsored Links