View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 01:48 PM

crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Picking up... got the wife back to the event without issue. Red turned over 127000 miles on the way. Met up with Mouse and his wife, hung out for a bit in the pavilion where the group of 60 or so (open air which was nice, pictured from above in the first pic of last post) was gathered eating BBQ and going over events for the following day. Talked to a few guys I knew and got our map of locations for the following day's poker run. This was the highlight of the trip BTW. We were beat so went to bed early ~ midnight.

Saturday. So, again, we are loners by nature and prefer small groups of people to large ones. We went on a couple hour hike with our usual group of 4. The property is huge as mentioned. We saw at least 5 lakes/ponds, a few meeting areas, 1 cemetery, and a whole lotta pretty trails. Got some nice shots of the wife and I together, which never happens. She'd likely be mortified if I posted any of her so these will have to do...

Name:  IMG_20211009_090056.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  654.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20211009_090101.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  815.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20211008_131813.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  785.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20211008_131810.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  647.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20211009_094458.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  881.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20211009_100228.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  890.4 KB

This trail along the edge led to a sort of natural wishing well labeled "tinkerbell" a mile or so down the trail.

Name:  IMG_20211009_103349.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  1.02 MB

After the hike we cleaned up and then got ready for the poker run. We were leaving about an hour or so after everyone else, which was fine. We wanted to take it at our own pace given we had our wives with us. We were in Red, Mouse and his wife in his E30.

The course was laid out as a ~180 mile run along the Three Sisters or Three Twisted Sisters roads and through scenic country towns. 5 stops along the way of course to collect 5 playing cards, 4 country stores and one BBQ joint, strategically placed as a sort of respite before continuing. The organizer, Pavel is his name, did an amazing job setting it up. The people at the stops were amazing and friendly, it was nice to be out again.

The first three stops went without incident and we were having a great time enjoying cooler temps outside the city and a fun drive. But on the way to the fourth (the BBQ place) we came upon a downed bike. Mouse and I got out to see if there was anything we could do, but fortunately the rider was already attended to by other riders who had him out of the sun and off the road with apparently a broken leg. The coroner for the area happened to also come across the incident and said that corner (downhill right turn with off camber pavement) is particularly bad and that someone had died there just a couple days before. We checked to see if we could help move bikes or anything but there were enough riders there that they said the ambulance had been called and they were okay.

Upon leaving the accident and feeling much more somber, we took it easy going up the hill/mountain the opposite way to the rider and flashed people coming up to the accident to warn them for a quarter mile before starting to drive spirited again. This is when we got our scare. I was leading and coming to an uphill crest with a left turn. Well, just cresting was big Cadillac Escalade, but soon after I saw the e30 touring w/ euro S50 swap pop out from behind it to pass. For him it would have been a blind hill and a blind corner, obviously with solid double yellows. To make matters worse, he was traveling with another guy in an e34 touring 540 who also wanted to overtake the Cadillac. I swerved to avoid them and fortunately all made it without trading any paint. My wife was pissed. I didn't tell her I knew who they were until she had cooled down but I was less then pleased too. As soon as we all got back they came up and apologized but I, of course, gave them the obvious "that was about the worst possible place to try and pass" speech and moved on.

2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)

Last edited by crystalworks; 10-12-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Sponsored Links