View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 12:53 AM

o2bad455 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
Great news! So your suspicions of the pump itself was correct. I was thinking that if any pumping were to be happening, that the working fluid would atleast be getting warm.
Thanks! To be honest, I'm not sure if my suspicion was right or just wishful thinking. There's no abnormal feel or noise from the old pump, so I was actually worried that I guessed wrong until I buttoned it up and was pleasantly surprised that it was fixed. I really didn't want to have to R&R the rack!

Quote:
I'm not too sure HOW important the "green" hydraulic fluid is in comparison to ATF. Some people say that it'll make the seals swell and start to leak. Otherwise, ATF probably would've been fine to at least troubleshoot with. There's really not too many additives in ATF and I doubt there would be that many in 11S neither. A nice VOA of 11S would be great.
Actually, I think the fluid I'd used for top-up a while back actually was CHF-11S, just in a smaller bottle (355 ml instead of 1 L). It was green too. Anyway, I'm sold on the full-synthetic CHF-11S. I don't like the idea of swollen seals from modern ATF. I've seen too much of that on other cars already.

Quote:
I guess a couple take away's from this is that if the SVT communicates on the BUS and has no fault codes, the ABS reports rational road speed, the servotronic in the PS line should be working. I'd be curious now if you were to do you same test of measuring the working fluid temperature if it would be much warmer than last time.
Agreed. It seemed electronic to me, but apparently only because I'd never had a PS loss with no other symptoms before. The SVT control seemed a likely suspect, especially after discovering the servotronic valve, but it turned out to be a red herring! Go figure...

I'll measure temps again to see if it's much different. Come to think of it, I'd only measured temps just before, in and just after the reservoir this morning becuase those were easily accesible, but probably should have measured just before at and after the pump, possibly from underneath. I believe the PS fluid goes through a cooling loop before it reaches the points where I'd previously measured.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I probably just lucked out today... But I'll take that!

Last edited by o2bad455; 12-30-2021 at 12:58 AM.

Sponsored Links