View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 09:01 PM

aureliusmax is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Any ideas? Why would the car run-- if poorly-- but when the DMEs are reinstalled, they don't work? I can always send back my DME to ECU Pro, but that's annoying, and they said my modules worked on their test car. Could it be a wiring thing? Please help!
Canbus issues need to be sorted out with an oscilloscope and using process of elimination, disconnecting or determining other modules on the network or wiring issues that are causing faults. Could even be an issue where the connector sockets have been pushed with a technician's test leads, and when re installed the socket's don't provide enough clamping force to make an electrical connection to the pins in the DME.
The Me 9.2.2 control to these engine's also can develop issues over time, and when changing parts/servicing and there's some special tools and procedures required to get the vanos system recalibrated like deleting the ram_backup - which will just cause random misfires and the engine will never run right.
Third there's also common wear points involved with the intake valve lift system which when worn out will cause uneven cylinder filling / leakages leading to random misfires.

Quote:
Anybody want a VERY well sorted (except for one VERY minor issue) E53 X5 4.8iS??? It's great when it runs! But seriously, just my stupid luck. This was the best car ever in the big snow storm we had in the south, and now it won't start. It did better than
I would love to take that off your hands and then sell it back to you once it's been sorted - or if you're feeling up to it, drive it up to Canada, park it in my storage lot and I can do some repairs. The 4.8iS is an extremely quirky engine with a lot of potential compounding issues and requires some skill and special tools to sort it out. I actually see you have listed your location in North Carolina, I'm a big fan of your current state representative

Quote:
my dad's big GMC Denali 2500HD. You know what the Denali does better? Runs. All the time. Starting to regret ever buying another BMW. At least my Audi never left me stranded...
Your dad's denali is probably a gas engine, but just wait long enough for all the high-trim quirks and features to go out. If it's a diesel engine, those isuzu built V8's are extremely unreliable and have a number of design flaws not to mention to many wear points and difficult to service due to being shoe-horned inside the chassis. Compare the labor hours to replace a turbo on that vs a Ram 2500 with a inline 6 My daily is a Ram 3500 - the newer models with the 4/5 gen chassis have a lot more plastic parts that can wear/tear as well as a lot of quirks and features that can go wrong also but that's all been fixed since I'm a technician. Your audi didn't leave you stranded because it's probably not old enough for all these quirks and features to break down. You should have known what you were getting into when you bought a 15 year old top of the range BMW.

Sponsored Links