View Single Post
Old 11-18-2022, 11:18 AM

Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam850 View Post
Alright so not sure what happened, but i think the Apple Car Play Box/App had to do something with this issue.

I disconnected the box, turned the car off for a few minutes, came back and started the car again, hit wifi on and it connected. So I got all my updates and what not.

As for the Car Play Experience over the last month....

I know a few members voiced their opinion through out this long thread about Apple Car Play with this unit and I would say the split is about 50/50 for it. Personally... I probably would have been better off just saving myself the extra $70-$100 or whatever for the Car Play stuff. I didnt want to download and sign in into all my apps individually on the Headunit, so CarPlay just seemed a lot more convenient. Along with the fact that anyone in the car with an iPhone would be able to use it.

With this unit (probably because its wireless), Iv had the app hang up randomly...or forcing me to click the back arrow on the headunit to go back to the home page because the screen was just black, then going back in the app. Cuts in the music on occasion. Not super frequent but it does happen. Did have connection issues here and there and sometimes my music would just stop playing completely and I would have to reset the app.

Im not sure if its the app or the actual hardware. In the recent week, I believe the last update on the app is causing some of the issues.

One thing thats annoying about the AutoPlay App is that the settings are hidden/not easy to find...especially if your phone is already paired with everything. Once I got to the settings, I managed to tweak some settings where the app wouldnt launch automatically or auto connect my phone right away etc.

Aside from the issues with CarPlay, over all experience is good. One thing that I wish was a better (which is super minor) is since the screen is slightly angled in the E53... some of the graphics look too dark from where you are sitting no matter the brightness setting. In my eyes it makes the unit look a bit cheap. But whatever. Small thing. Probably looks fine in the other BMWs where the screen isnt on an angle like that.

Still a good unit at the end of the day and im getting my "moneys" worth out out of it. Would recommend.
I was one that dumped the Carplay pretty quickly.

I've noticed the same thing with the screen. If I lean forward it clears up, but it is annoying. I've been thinking about what Overboost (I think) did, which was to place 1/8" spacers behind the upper frame to change the angle a little. I think he put them under the adjacent trim so it blended in and didn't look like anything was different. I've had so much other stuff going on that I haven't got to it yet.

Sponsored Links