View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 02:38 PM

Oldmactech is on a distinguished road
Troublesome coolant loss

Some know I replaced a headgasket in an 03’ 3.0 a few years back and have had no problems with it for about 15k miles. Recently my low coolant warning triggers every 50-60 miles or so and I have to add enough coolant to make it right.

I just pressure tested the cooling system and it held pressure (25 lbs) for 30 mins. And 30 lbs.

As suggested I pulled the spark plugs and tested for coolant in the cylinders but found none- I swabbed the cylinders with a soft piece of rope that would have absorbed anything on top.

Other symptoms: seems that the upper and lower radiator hoses hold pressure longer than I remember on cool down (maybe my imagination).

Yesterday on cold start I noticed a puff of white/maybe grey smoke from the tailpipe. Didn’t persist.

Interior temp gauge straight up 12 noon but seems to get there quicker than it used to - summer maybe?

Replaced spark plugs, previous had signs of being cooked so maybe wrong type? New plugs running great.

Would a pressure test reveal a head gasket issue? I suppose my next step is a block test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links