View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 PM

zero is on a distinguished road
TCU replacement DIY?

Hi guys and gals,

I drive an 05 X5 4.4i production date 10.2004. I just got my first Bluetooth capable phone, the Motorola SLVR. My phone pairs, and I can receive calls perfectly, but the the phonebook doesn't load. My dealer informed me that the phonebook only works fully with vehicles with a production date of 9.2005 or later.

I know there are other threads about TCU replacements and Bluetooth, but I've spent half an hour looking for a DIY guide for TCU replacement, and haven't found one (someone referenced an article by IFlyX5 in one of the threads, but I couldn't find said article).

So, my questions are, if I replace my TCU, should this take care of the problem? How tech saavy do you need to be to replace the TCU yourself, how much does it cost, and how much does it usually cost to have the dealer recode the system afterwards? Is it worth my trouble to do this just to get my phonebook to load, or am I crazy?

Thanks for any help guys - I'm a noob, but I'm excited about finding a community of X5 geeks to talk with.

Sponsored Links