View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Chairman/Moderator/Premier Member

Kewl X5 is on a distinguished road
Yup! Those darn tires are expensive. While visiting my buddy with an E90 325i, unfortunately, the dreaded "low tire pressure warning" went off. Sure enough, the left rear tire only had 10 PSI. Apparently, he ran over a nail. Pumped some air in it, but it wouldn't hold. Most tire stores didn't want to patch/plug it....his local dealer, Global BMW, had his RFT in stock. He has the sports package with 17" wheels....still 255 mm wide. Anyhow, after buying a new tire and labor + tax, it was fixed and yes, about $400!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata
Those are nice wheels. Of course they look better because that car is lowered. I catch myself looking at wheels and thinking about which ones I would put on the E90 but I am trying really hard not to bite. I really like the stock 18" wheels that come with the Sport Package. They look bigger than 18" because of the design. They are simple, sport, clean looking, and easy to clean. Then again, a nice set of forged DPE's would be just lovely.

The RFT are so far so good. I think most owners curse them when it comes time to replace them. They're expensive. There is also a debate about whether a RFT can be plugged or patched. The manufacturers say don't do it but some people say it's okay as long as the puncture is not too close to the shoulder, etc, as with regular tires. I haven't read the article about RFT's in this month's "Roundel" but I need to. Out of paranoia I have put a portable air compressor in the trunk even though you can drive 150 miles at 50 mph on a RFT. I figure that it would be better to put air back in it if possible before driving on it because another thing I read was that once you've driven on a flat RFT you have to replace it.

Incidentally, the absence of a spare didn't free up that much trunk space. There is just a little storage box under the trunk floor.

Sponsored Links