Thread: M5 vs S6 vs E63
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:38 AM
Chairman/Moderator/Premier Member

Kewl X5 is on a distinguished road
Agree with Josh. Remember, one of Josh's throwaway car was a E46 M3 with SMG. As a veteren E46 M3 SMG driver for the past 2 years, you re-learn really fast how to drive the SMG. It is like learning to drive stick for the first time. I can drive the M3 with SMG as smooth as an automatic car or as crazy-fast with quick wham-bam shifting.....The SMG is awesome for quick downshifting with SMG system blipping the throttle to rev-match your downshift!!

When I test drove the E60 M5 last week, any SMG M3 driver would feel right at home except it is even easier to be smoother in the M5. The M5 SMG III is quicker & smoother than the E46 M3 SMG II. To be honest, I never use the "automatic" mode....that is what driving the X5 with steptronic for....

Also, as a former Mercedes E-class owner, I agree with Josh. The Mercedes is nice & solid and rides well for cruising fast on the highway, but when it comes to driving dynamics with handling and driving-fun, the BMWs are always better than the Mercedes. Even though my old E-Class could go around a corner faster than most American sedans, the X5 actually was more fun to drive around a corner than the E-class. There is no good steering feedback in the Mercedes and always has syrupy throttle response vs. the BMWs.

So if you want solid fast sedan for the autobahn cruising, but don't care going on a mountain road, the Mercedes is fine. If you need AWD due to winter weather driving, get the Audi. If you want the best combo of a pure sports car driving experience packaged with luxury sedan--M5 hands down!!

There was a reason that we put tons more miles on the X5 than E-class. There is a reason why we put tons of miles on the E46 M3 (almost 45K miles with has been more reliable than the X5)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru
that's what idiots who do not understand what a sequential is thinks. It's not a auto so don't drive it a like an auto. After a little practice, you can be super smooth with SMG. I drove the CLS63. Was impressed but it still doesn't handle anything like the M5.. that's why I bought one.. The S6 is slow as molasses.. drove that too.

Sponsored Links