Thread: Garmin Nuvi 360
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 04:19 AM
Premier Member

asawadude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I read somewhere that you can use it walking down the street. Another question is can you use it while camping. You know off road in case you got lost??
The Nuvi is specifically geared to automotive use. It's pretty useless when away from public or unmapped roadways. A couple of weeks back I was up in the Hollywood Hills on an unmarked/unmapped private access road. The Nuvi got thoroughly confused and kept trying to recalculating the route.

It is, however, very usable for walking tours in urban areas. But for camping and hiking, you'll need a handheld GPS device that uses measures lat/lon positioning. Some of the newer handhelds can do both turn by turn roadway and trail lat/lon navigation. I split the cost of Garmin eTrex with a couple of fishing buddies - when we go fishing in Mammoth, it's allowed us to walk in alot further from our trucks and stay out alot longer. We don't have to worry about losing sight of visual landmarks because of sunset. You should be able to rent one from a place that rents camping gear like Sports Chalet.

Sponsored Links