View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 06:03 AM

trapdoor is on a distinguished road
The V27 Towns, villages and suburbs issue

Some of us have noted that the V27 and V27.1 update caused some unacceptable behaviour in the text display in the RH pane whereby the village, town or suburb name is no longer displayed, but has been replaced by the nearest large postal town.

This on the surface may not be a problem, but if you are transiting through an area you don't know too well but not in Guidance mode you may not be able to identify where you are should the need arise to say call recovery or the emergency services (if you have or come across an accident).

As an example, with the old system if you were in a village called Herby on a road called Accacia Avenue and the village was near a major town called Bigtown, then on V26 and earlier the display would read:

B. HERBY
ACCACIA AVENUE

Which was fine as you could tell whoever where you were.

Now with V27, the display reads:

BIGTOWN
ACCACIA AVENUE

OK. so what if both Herby and Bigtown have an Accacia Avenue? (quite usual in the UK) how do you easily & accurately identify where you are?

Anyhow, I have flagged this with BMW Customer Services in the UK, and after an initial response saying it was a bug, yesterday I had the following email:
Dear Mr .............

Thank you for your email received August 10, 2006.

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the DVD Satellite Navigation on your BMW 330i. I have spoken with ....., Service Manager at Dick Lovett to discuss your concerns.

..... has confirmed that the new software on your vehicle does display the information differently to the previous software that you had. This is the way that the software has been designed and not because there is a fault with the disc.

..... has offered to try the new disc in your vehicle to see if information is displayed in the old format before you purchase it. As there is no fault with your current disc if you did choose to order the new disc the cost would not be covered by Warranty.

I can confirm that any subsequent upgrades made to your Satellite Navigation will carry a charge and will not be covered under warranty.

We are sorry you have had cause to contact us under these circumstances and trust that you understand our position on the matter.

Regards
Joanne Grierson
Customer Service Executive

A totally unacceptable response in my view, and I would urge those of you who feel this is an issue with V27 & V27.1 (for the reasons stated) please contact BMW Customer Services (in whichever country) to log your dissatisfaction.

Let us know how you go........

Sponsored Links