View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 01:28 AM

xx3 is on a distinguished road
Most of the documented transmission problems here on X5World stem for the 6 speed auto built by the company ZF for the refreshed 4.4i (04' and on). That tranny is also shared with the E60 and BMW cars (I think all V8 cars).

The problem they seem to be having is a transmission slam, when the car deaccelerates to a slow rolling speed and then the throttle applies, the slam happens causing the car to jerk forward.

With that being said, you have a 3.0i, and it doesn't have the 6 speed auto by ZF. So there should be no reason why your car should be doing this. I have 2 questions...

- How many miles does your X have?
- Has it gotten worse over time?

On my X3 3.0i (which I am presuming uses the same 5 speed auto as your X5), things I have noticed are (@ 28,000 miles and counting) :

- a slight clunk after a sudden and quick stop (a clunk which doesn't cause the car to move or make any jerkiness, just seems to be an audible noise).
- when the transmission is cold, a slight jerk can between 4th to 3rd when I downshift.
- and 1st gear jerks about half of the time around 5,000 - 6,0000 rpm under hard hard acceleration. (I'm told this is normal by my friend ?! any ideas?).

Anyway, my point is, your transmission shouldn't be doing this, unless it was abused by the previous owner (who probably shifted from R to D while moving... thinks like that).

You could take it to a dealer and ask for reprogramming...

Sponsored Links