View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 03:51 PM

bmwnavnewbie is on a distinguished road
What's so bad about Euro/OEM mode?

My Mk4 is in "Euro" or OEM mode, meaning that the obvious differences are that distances are in yards, not feet, and there is no "Emergency" item on the Settings menu. Also, on the hidden menu, it says 7er and there's no VIN. But everything, including time of arrival, seems to work fine.

I recently took it in to the dealer for service, and said simply that the settings menu doesn't look like the manual picture - there's no Emergency - could they explain this. They said there's no Emergency setting because I have no TCU (I guess this must be something like transmitter control unit, for Assist). Other than that, they said no problem, and they left it as is. (I had put v26 in for the dealer visit, downgrading from 27.1 with my updated splash screen)

So I'm wondering - what's so bad about Euro/OEM mode if you don't mind yards instead of feet? Every time I've made a software change, I have disconnected the battery to get the aux ventilation item back, but that's not a big deal. Are all the guys who are going to the dealer to get recoded doing that because they have Assist, and that is fouled up by the software changes?

Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links