View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 AM

tyrolean_marcus is on a distinguished road
Question Map Shift Problem! 2003 E53 Mk IV Nav

Hello All,

My 2003 X5 with a Mk IV navigation system recently started intermitantly delivering very poor position accuracy. At the time of the first navigation malfunction the Nav screen was indicating reception of 7 satellites. The green "GPS" symbol was displayed as well.

While driving in a major city with clear unobstructed view of the overhead sky the map position suddenly jumped about 50 KILOMETERS! This large "Map shift" remained for about 20 minutes until I stopped and shut the X5 off. After about 3 hours I restared the vehicle/nav system and noticed that the "map shift" was now about 80 to 100 meters (thats about 300 feet). The system was again showing reception of numerous satellites and the green "GPS" sysbol was present as well. This 300 foot lack of navigational accuracy still implies there is an unacceptable error somewhere in the Navigation system.

In an effort to trouble shoot I entered the Navigation Service mode, but was unable to easily discern any obvious faults (no obvious faults jumped out at me). However, that doesn't mean that I didn't just simply overlook a faultly indication in the Nav Service mode because I haven't got much experience with this system.

Has anybody experienced a similar type of "map shift"? What was the root cause of this fault? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Marcus

Sponsored Links