View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:55 PM

proveg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
I had my 1st opportunity to try winter weather this weekend. I do have the OEM 18" winter package mounted. I'd give the X5 a A+ for winter ability.

Here in Iowa we had the worst combination for driving. A mix of sleet & freezing rain. We were about 100 miles from home & drove right through the heart of it. We had two vehicles so my wife drove the X5 with the kids. I actually had to call one of my daughters to have her "tell mom to slow down". I was in a front drive sedan & was having troubles with her speed (45-50 MPH), both in keeping up & worried that the X5 was making her over-confident. When we got home I jumped in the X5 to see for myself. Man, it was like a cat on carpet. I even tried to 'get it out of shape' on a low traffic road. With the winter tires & the X5's stability control I couldn't hardly get in trouble.

(I did see some poor soul going the other way in a M3 w/o winter wheels/tires. They didn't look like they were having fun )
haha.. I had E46 M-Performance package on Dunlop winter sports, wasnt a day in 3 years that I didnt feel confident driving it. One time I drove into some deeper snow in an isolated area, there were kids in FX enoying 4 wheel drive, they were shocked to see a sporty BMW in same snow as them, they got mad and left looking for deeper snow as they no longer felt special.
Snow tires do make a huge difference and I was un-stopable for exception when the snow got harder and ground effects or the belly of the car was resting on it.

Warning:
DSC/DTC nor Winter tires can be echanged for stupidity, you still need to be carefull.

Sponsored Links