View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:37 PM

SirBobUK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSnV1
BTW, anyoone know how long we have this free subscription to traffic info?
Essentially the traffic broadcast is free for as long as you use the Nav DVD with the TMC codes. i.e. the one you are currently using.

Should BMW decide to no longer include these codes on future Nav DVD updates (unlikely) and you choose to buy an updated disk without these codes, then the feature would stop as the NAV system has no way of determining how to interpret the TMC broadcast info to the map you are using.

However I doubt BMW would choose to do this.

Glad it worked for you. I use it every day and I tend to use the Nav even on journeys I know well, just so I get route diversions for incidents ahead that I wouldn't know about should I just follow the routes I know.

One thing to note is sometimes even though there is an incident, it will not send you via a diversion as it calculates it is still quicker to sit in the traffic than taking the alternate route. So just because it hasn't avoid a long queue of traffic, doesn't mean it isn't working or accurate.

Obviously it's routes are based on the quality of information it is fed from the radio TMC feed, so if this is dubious or out of date, then the NAv won't know any better.

It isn't perfect, but it has saved me hours and hours in traffic in the various cars I've had with it integrated into the Nav (inc Porsche 997 and Audi A8). Even this last Wednesday it saved me probably 3 hours in standing traffic by sending me down some tiny little back roads but avoiding a huge accident queue.

Bob

Sponsored Links