View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 12:21 PM

Peter D is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrag97
Thx Peter,

sorry for this newbie question.. but what exactly is the TCU.. and will I be able to find the part # in the ETK? (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/)?

I when on EIS and found this..

BMW BT antenna relocation cable pair #BTACCP $31.50
1 Meter Bluetooth Antenna cable #BTAC1M $21.00
OEM Bluetooth Antenna #BMWBTA $19.50

but unable to find the Fakra connector cable???

thank you again
tdrag97

The TCU is a "telemetrics control unit", it sits in the absolute bottom of your left rear quarter panel, the assist module which you'll remove is there now. The BT antenna mounts to the top of the black bracket that holds the NAV and CD changer, there are 2 studs sticking up on the top, and this is where it goes. If you dont have the factory bracket, its unimportant, just secure the antenna near the top. Get the part from BMW, it had / has an $830 list price but if you call Vaheh at Crevier BMW, you'll find you get it for substantially less. If you get it from BMW, its warrantied for 2 years vs an Ebay "take a chance" thing. The latest edition part number is 84 10 6 965 056, this unit has voice recognition in it for a seperate vr phone book (not the cell phone) that you program into the TCU via voice commands

You dont need the antenna relocation cable, this is only used if you want to put the antenna somewhere else in the car, i.e. front. The cable for $21 is long enough to reach anywhere in the inside rear quarter compartment.

The Fakra adapter cable cable is something Randy will have to build for you, you'll only need it if you use the snap in adapter to hold the phone and want to connect the phone to the external antenna, you can use the snap in to power the phone and hold it without any modifiation. If you dont use the snap in you dont need the adapter.

Battery life and my east coast reception via Verizon has been phenominal on the 815, I was all set to put in the snap in to hold the phone as I figured I'd have to charge the phone daily etc, I go a full week plus without needing to charge the phone so I've put off the snap in.

Good luck with it

Sponsored Links