View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM

KiwiJochen is on a distinguished road
Well done for taking such good clear photos, it'll help me explain what you have to do.

Firstly: antenna sockets

Violet = Unknown. Jap toll charge system I believe. Not used for Mk4.

Blue = GPS antenna.
You'll note it doesn't fit as the Facra plug requires a Facra socket to lock the connector into place. What I did was use an SMB-SMB extension cable (100mm, m-f) and that worked beautifully.

Black/purple (twin connector) = AM/FM radio antenna.
One side comes from the antenna, the other side goes to the radio. It's used to feed the Japanese VICS traffic info receiver inside the Jap nav. You need to connect both sides together, because with it unplugged, you have disconnected the antenna circuit for the radio. TIP: use an SMB-SMB custom made 100mm cable for a clean, reliable quality solution. That's what I did.

Nav connectors:
(blue = blue Mk4 connector, burgundy = burgundy Mk4 connector, p = pin number)

Dead-reckoning input signals
19 White green = F_DFAHR rear right wheel speed pulse = burgundy p10
NEW-WIRE = RFL – reverse light = burgundy p1

Power and kbus signals
10 Red/green = terminal 30, permanent +12V = blue p1
20 Brown = terminal 31, ground = blue p10
9 White/red/yellow = K-BUS – kbus data bus = blue p3
NOTE: you will note the power pins are too big for the Mk4 connector. See note below.

Video signals
7 Red = R75 – red video = blue p4
8 Grey = G75 – green video = blue p8
17 Black = B75 – blue video = blue p13
14 White = SYNC – video sync = blue p17
18 Shield (clear) = RGBGND – video cable shield (ground) = blue p15

Audio signal
6 Blue/red = NF+ voice signal = blue p9
16 Blue/brown = NF- voice ground = blue p18
(audio wires are a twisted pair)

The left over Japanese wires are for Japanese functions that the Mk4 doesn't support (like Japanese phone). Leave them disconnected.

All pins, except for the power pin, are the same type of pin used on the Mk4 connector. So you can just unclip the pin from the connector and transfer the pins, one at a time, from the Jap connector to the Mk4 nav connector. Very easy.

The Jap power pins are physically too large for the Mk4 connector. Cut them off, and either fit new pins, or cut off a pin from the left over Japanese wires and use that (they will never be used anyway). Solder the new pin to the power and ground wires.

NEW-WIRE you need to fit a new wire from the burgundy pin1 (reverse signal) to tap into the reverse light wire. Again, use an unused Jap wire as a source for the pin. Luckily, the reverse light wire sits in the wiring loom in the boot, behind the nav down on the boot floor, close and accessible. Look for the blue/yellow wire. I cut 2mm of insulation of the blue/yellow wire, soldered my new wire to it, and then insulated with liquid insulation. Worked well - a bit awkward in the cramped space inside the boot, but I managed.

Once you have cabled it all, plug in and test. The nav will work immediately, and will recognise the radio and TV and CD changer. You can leave off the GPS connector temporarily if you don't have an SMB cable yet.
Go back into the Radio Service Mode, now that you have the Euro Mk4 nav, you'll have more options to choose from in the radio.

NOTE: Japanese telephone will NOT work, as the Jap phone is not an ibus phone. But if you ever swap the Jap phone for a Euro bluetooth module, it'll work.

Last edited by KiwiJochen; 11-07-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Sponsored Links