View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Premier Member

alpac is on a distinguished road
My daughter crashed her bimmer

Some of you may remember when I bought a nice used 323 to my daughter for her 16th birthday 3 years ago. Well, she crashed it last Friday . The car was in pristine condition and has been very well maintained under the extended warranty that expired recently. She does not have comprehensive insurance so this is going to be my project for the next several weeks. I do the job and she paid the parts. It has been a long time since I have done such an extensive work on a car. I spent part of the morning today taking out the all front to assess the damage. Hood, bumper cover, part of the front frame, left headlight, expension tank and radiator, need to be replaced and may be more. I may be able to save the front left side panel. I will inspect the water pump next week-end. Since she is in college she does not have much income. She works from time to time as a waitress in a near by restaurant. I could pay for getting this fixed but I will not. I offered her to do the job so she can save the labor which I would estimate around $1800 to $2000. I hope she will learn from this. Fortunately she was not hurt. She already has booked the next 2 weeks to work at the restaurant during the Christmas vacation. Looking at the online BMW catalog just the parts will be around $2100 (and may be more depending what else may be damaged) if bought new. I hope to be able to find a used bumper cover and hood which will reduce the overall cost. As I will only work few hours on week-ends it may take several week before it is completed. Also depending on my paint talents I may go to a professional for the final paint layer. Here are some pics. The last one is after having removed most of the front.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links