View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 PM

Harley Monster is on a distinguished road
Cam sensor part numbers - don't forget the O-ring

Hi Bill,

Yes, My 2001 X5 is a 3.0 with 97+K miles.

In my case my engine seemed to be running fine, but in checking out the car before the California emissions test it was throwing a cam sensor code which I needed to clear before the inspection.

I was only going to replace the affected sensor (Bank 1) but after talking to the German shop foreman at the dealer he said to replace both because if one has gone bad the other will follow in short order.

I followed Mixman812's instructions primarily, removing the intake ducting and oil filter housing are the most time consuming parts of the procedure but not difficult at all. The actual remove/replace of the sensors themselves is very easy and fast once you get to them. The Intake is the most difficult to get to so you have it made in the shade. The exhaust side is not very visible but easy to get to without any disassembly of other components

The exhaust part number is #12147518628 and is called Pulse Generator, Camshaft. I have a very good relationship with my dealer's parts guy and got it at "Dealer Cost" of $109.28 with a list of $136.60. (It really pays to build a relationship with these guys, most really do want to be helpful)

Don't forget to get the O-Ring or you will be asking for an oil leak, part number #12141748398 O-Ring, $1.35 with a list of $1.50.

As I said, my car seemed to be running fine but with the change of both the exhaust and the intake cam sensors the car runs better in every mode AND I picked up 2 miles per gallon. The engine is just plain smoother throughout the power band.

For those looking for the Intake Pulse Sensor number it is #12147539165 and the O-ring is the same.

This is definitely a DIY procedure and you will save about $250-300 per sensor doing it yourself.

Good luck and any other questions on this don't be afraid to ask.

Harley Monster

Sponsored Links