View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-4ever View Post
imho... they are spreading themselves to thin.

They should just stick to the meat and potatoes... 3,5,7,M,X

The GT line has absolutely no visual appeal to me. I lump them in with dodge caliber, toyota matrix, and the like.
IMO they aren't a meat and potatoes car company, that is what Ford and Toyota are for. BMW has to constantly find new niches, or they will die. They aren't a low cost producer, so they have to innovate. They have recognized that people like the utility of a hatch and an upright driving position (ref X3, X5) but that many people reject the touring versions outside of Europe because they are associated with traditional US station wagons. We really don't need 1000 lbs of additional road-hugging weight, lower fuel economy, and so on, but want something different than a sedan.

Personally, I really like the GT concepts (I refuse to call it a PAS or PAC or whatever else it has been coined for the same reasons I didn't call my X5 an SAV). The more vertical grills are coming on all models due to pedestrian impact legislation, and that is half of the pushback on the 3 GT and 5 GT it appears.

I like the idea of a 5 GT, but it is too big for what I need. A 3 GT makes more sense in my case.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links