View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Premier Member and retired relic

Quicksilver will become famous soon enoughQuicksilver will become famous soon enough
A little more history........

Republicans are trying to scare seniors about this issue -- despite the fact that end-of-life consultations have been embodied in federal law since 1990, and supported by both Republicans and Democrats for years.

A little history for you, the last REFORM of Social Security in 1983 (a government controlled plan) -- Guess who was President back then? Yup it was the famous PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN and his Vice President, George HW Bush! When they and their Republican friends had a chance to eliminate Social Security -- he instead REFORMED it and kept it going for another 26 years.

The National Commission on Social Security Reform (informally known as the Greenspan Commission after its Chairman) was appointed by the Congress and the President in 1981 to study and make recommendations regarding the short-term financing crisis that Social Security faced at that time.

Check out who the 4 known Republicans were in this reform group: With a Picture

Note the following names:

Rep. Bill Archer (R-TX)
Rep. Barber Conable (R-NY)
Sen. John Heinz (R-PA)
Sen. Bob Dole (R-KS)

A tad more History for you - at the signing of the 1983 Soc Sec reform act by Reagan....a certain REPUBLICAN Senator Howard Baker, then majority leader of Senate had this to say:

"It is perhaps one of the littlest noticed but most important aspects of the civility of American Government that on occasion we rise above politics; we rise above confrontation; and we address, on a bipartisan basis, the great challenges and issues that confront the Republic.

Sometimes it's been on issues of war and peace. Sometimes it has been on issues of the rights and opportunities of minorities and individuals within our country, once on the salvation of the Union itself.

But there's a canny understanding in the American political system that sometimes there are issues that are more important than any of us, or perhaps all of us, taken together. The preservation of the social security system is one of those issues. And in the uniquely American way, those of us who participate in government, Republicans and Democrats together, public and private citizens, gathered together and subordinated our own views to those of the welfare of the majority."

How easily they forget THEIR part in creating/reforming of a GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED PLAN

A couple more GOVERNMENT controlled entities:

Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS) - All Congressmen/women pay into this system. Gee -- I wonder if they LIKE their government controlled pension plan?

If I had the resources, I would find the senators and representatives that fought against social security and medicare and schip, get a picture of each, then create an ad giving names with mug shots (like they've been caught by police) -- at end of mug shots, I'd display the words....ALL REPUBLICANS that refused to support Social Security, Medicare and SChip for children. Then the last shot should be a shot of the word "GUILTY" being stamped on paper!

OR...

I would do the opposite and get senators and reps that supported Medicare and Soc Sec and SChip, find their mug shots, then repeat the above---ALL REPUBLICANS THAT SUPPORTED GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED HEALTH PROGRAMS, and lastly a shot of the word "GUILTY" being stamped on paper.

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Sponsored Links