View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 PM

AVATT is on a distinguished road
A slight correction to my earlier post. The VehicleDock from NAV-TV will allow for audio and video on the OEM screen. However, while you can view the Ipod menus on the OEM screen with the VehicleDock, you can only control and scroll thru the menus via the VehicleDock remote control or the Ipod itself, NOT via the I-Drive controls. (Currently NAV-TV only has a system to allow for the I-drive controls to control the Ipod for the Rover and MB vehicles). The BMW56CAN will allow you to use the I-Drive controls (and steering wheel buttons) to move between the various new external sources (up to 3 external sources plus a new backup camera). In my case to call up the FLIR, IPOD or Rear Entertainment System.

However, there is a system from Denision which allows you to use the I-drive controls to actually control the IPOD and its menus.

You need the Denision Gateway 500

Dension: iPod + USB

and the Denision AVR

Dension: Video

The vehicleDock is $300, the Denision system is aprox $1,000 and there is a 3rd alternative for $40. See:

PIE Precision Interface Electronics Online Store - AUDIO VIDEO OUTPUT iPod Adaptor

However, this 3rd option will only allow for control via the IPOD. In addition, the OEM screen will remain blank while playing audio and will remain blank while scrolling thru the Ipod menus until actually playing a video. However it is obviously a far cheaper option. None of the above prices include installation.

Finally, I have to weigh in as well on the posts in which some become self appointed leo's and moral authorities. Some presume that those with these interfaces have them solely for the purpose of video in motion. They are incorrect. In my case it is for the purpose of being able to control the menus and view what I am calling up on the OEM screen. The rear entertainment system otherwise (which is for my small children) would have to be controlled from a passenger in the back actually viewing the rear screens (my children are to young to use the controls). It is for the convenience of viewing the menus if I am alone with my small children (while driving) that I chose this interface.

Moreover, I have to challenge these premises. It seems acceptable to some that you scroll thru endless screens in the I-drive for comfort, climate, NAV, entertainment and commo for minutes on end. Yet, viewing video is somehow different? All of these are distractions. That is why the safe and effective driver utilizes a scan technique which allows for viewing information- speed, fuel and yes the I-drive standard functions inside the cabin with the road and environment outside the cabin.

I have been to numerous safety courses, both auto and aviation and am trained in C3RM (Crew/cockpit/Cabin resource management as well as licensed to practice law in Illinois so I am fully aware of the law and the attendant risks and get a little incensed at those who feel the need to pontificate on the law and the presumed behavior or motivations of others.

Sponsored Links