View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 AM

Ghost-Flame is on a distinguished road
One thing that is cotnraversial here is flushing the life time trans fluid every 30,000 miles. I use mobil 1 it meets and exceeds BMW specs. I do this and my trans is at 99,300 miles. It shifts and performs like brand new.

In order to do a complete flush you'll need 14 qts. ( $135, cheaper and less aggravating than a new trans) drop the pan (a speed ratchet is helpful here), drain out the fluid, replace pan, pump in 3.5 qts qts of M1 Trans Fluid, drive 20 miles, repeat 3 more times. I replace the filter at every other change.

Like I said some say don't do it, BMW techs aven disagree but, I feel better changing it. With 60,000 miles and this gentle drain fill proceedure you will be fine and be very happy with the results. there's a DIY in the articles section. I'll try to find it and post the link.

Here's the link http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...y-02-4-4i.html it shows a DIY for the 4.4 the 3.0 is very similar. The DIY says to use 9 qts for a complete flush. my method makes me happy but changing 3 times is better than not doing it.

and here... Collecting Statistics on BMW auto transmission and Lifetime ATF - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

I would also begin changing the oil every 7,500 miles, again contraversial but, yields good results.

Last edited by Ghost-Flame; 11-22-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Sponsored Links