View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 PM

astroguy is on a distinguished road
Thanks to Youry for pointing out that other automakers are susceptible as well. My original search was confined to the BMW X5, but further research shows that other many other cars are susceptible as well. In fact, I read at one post that there are something over 250,000 car fires in the US each year.

I am not suggesting that the X5 problem is epidemic, but I would feel terrible if I hadn't at least made an effort to make others aware of a potential problem, and found out that someone else had been hurt.

It seems to me that NHTSA and/or car manufacturers should be doing a little more to prevent or contain the problem. For instance, in the case of the X5, why is the fuse box in the occupant compartment and surrounded by flammable materials?? I am quite certain that building codes prohibit the fuse box in a residence or public building from being surrounded by combustibles.

Point is that pubic buildings have sprinklers, and commercial kitchen hoods have fire suppression systems. Cars are equipped with air bags, so why not better fire prevention and/or containment systems??

Sponsored Links