View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM

deutsch100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergs View Post
Sorry about the confusion.

To clarify...the car stays in a gear (let's just use 3rd as an example) and won't go into the next gear (4th) going up a hill even when I have enough speed to do so. Thus, it revs really loudly. It's like the transmission is confused about what it's supposed to do. Even once the car gets to the top of the hill and becomes straight, it takes time for the car to finally shift into the right gear.

That make any more sense? Thanks.
Hey there! It's been a long time since I've been on this Board, since I traded my 2008 4.8i in! If anyone remembers any of my posts, this EXACT transmission issue was the #1 reason I dumped my X5. While my '07 3.0si was a nightmare, the transmission was fine. my '08 4.8i transmission was awful. I live up in a high canyon, that requires me to go up several very steep hills (about 2 miles). The transmission in my 4.8i would rev SO loud, and would not shift up. I know the car needs to downshift to go up the incline, but it would go down too many gears, or hold the current gear so long...I would be revving to 4-5k rpm. It was so loud in the cabin, that several times passengers would ask what was wrong with my car! 2 dealers told me it is a known problem, but than nothing could be done. Numerous "software" upgrades could not fix the issue (at the time the current 7 Series was having somewhat similar issues). I think the new 2011 X5 addressed the problems, and now has a new 8 speed tranny!

I've been in a 2009 ML63 AMG for about 9 months, and while not the perfect car (close though, honestly really close, the 7G transmission is flawless and whisper quiet...even going up steep hills. It ALWAYS knows the perfect gear to go in, and is just seamless. My best friend has an ML350, and her car too has an awesome transmission.

Sponsored Links