View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 PM

Werewolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcghee View Post
I have a deposit on a clean 2006 X5 3.0 manual transmission with 36,000 miles, Xeon, cold weather, sport package, 2-owner. I am to take delivery later this month. Agreed upon price is $26,500.

I'm excited about the SAV and have been a frequent visitor to this site since making the deposit. However, I'm getting cold feet, namely for two reasons.

First it seems these vehicles depreciate like there's no tomorrow. I've been following used pricing on eBay. Clean X5's with ~60K miles seem to be trading in the mid teens, (which causes me to think my deal is too rich.)

It also seems X5's are maintenance hogs with all sorts of little annoying service and repair issues. I'm OK with occasional service but I don't want to buy the car "wrong" and then have to sink a bunch more money on top of that.

I will have a remaining factory warranty through April 1. This gives me a free 1 month shake down cruise.

Two questions for the community:

1. Does my deal sound reasonable?
2. What top maintenance issues should I watch for or get checked out before April 1.

I need some encouragement here. Many thanks.
Out of curiosity, is the x5 a dark blue with brown leather? A while back, I was looking at a 2006 in Pitt with 9k miles for $33K. I am wondering if this is that car.

Re: depreciation 60k-36k = 24k miles or 2 to 2.5 yrs normal mileage for a daily driver. 26k in and 15k out (guessing) is 11k in depreciation. This ends up being between 370 to 460 a month in depreciation over the period. This is before repairs / maintenance.

I would get it if you're gonna keep it a long while. Manuals are rare and hard to sell later (unless you find an enthusiast) so make sure you get a great price on the buy. This car is also the 'old' bodystyle which should help you get a good price.

You should have a lot of negotiating power.

Sponsored Links