View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM

cmartin248 is on a distinguished road
transmission down shifting or jerking

Many times the transmission is repaired or replaced when the fix can be very simple. For the past few months my 4.4L X5 has been having a transmission problem. While driving it would suddenly down shift 1 to 2 gears and rev the engine to the point of backing off the accelerator. After searching the boards and using some logic, it did not appear to be a mechanical problem. The problem was electrical because it did not slip or act like a mechanical failure. I found a couple of articles where drivers had replaced the internal transmission wiring harness due to a short to the temperature sensor. The harness cost $250 and is way over priced. My thoughts were to find the short and repair the harness. After removing the pan, I found two temperature sensors. Both had a double push on spade connection. I took the sensor and stuck it into the spade connection, one side at a time. I found one of the connections was very loose, so I sprung the spade connection back tight and everything has been fine for several hundred miles, more than enough for the problem to occur again. Total cost was $25 for the fluid and about 2 hours work. Too many people have a transmission problem and simply drive it to the shop at the mercy of the mechanic. You guys act like the transmission is a magical box that only the magicians can fix.... I diagnose the problem (with some help from other on this board) make the repair and fixed what's wrong. Wish all mechanics did that, but then it's not financial advantagious for them.

Sponsored Links