View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 05:17 PM

X5 Meister is on a distinguished road
Not sure if you have a solution to this yet. I'd highly recommend the BMW OE setup no question. There was an older version of the kit that involved a bit of cutting and wasn't particularly clean. As of mid 2006 they introduced a new kit that is excellent. Here is the p/n 66 21 0 397 648 . It's certainly not $1000. You can get it from here for about $600:

getBMWparts.com powered by Tischer BMW - Your #1 Source for all OEM BMW Parts/Accessories!

Installation is not bad at all. You will need some basic tools, and a drill to drill just one 14mm hole which will be hidden. You should also have a small amount of primer and touch-up paint to properly dress that hole that you drill.

It's a very clean installation overall and if you ever sell the car and want to remove it to sell separately you can do that no problem. If you want to browse the installation instructions to see what's involved drop me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edco View Post
I need a favor, in return for which I will offer to pick up your check at the Crab Shack.

I have been desperate for a reverse camera for my 06 X5, primarily since the house next door and another across the street have little darlings that run into the street all the time and often when I'm backing out of my driveway.

I bought a "kit" from a guy I knew, but frankly it was so convoluted, that even my buddy who is a tech a at BMW dealership told me to toss it. I also got a high end license plate camera with the LEDS that light up adding additional lighting beyond just the reverse lights.

An OEM BMW kit sells for over $1000 new on ebay, and another buddy recommended this set up: http://navvideo.com/downloads/Install_NV_RGB.pdf
from this site:
BMW X5 TV Nav Video Input Interface. Connect a DVD Player, TV Tuner, Reverse Backup Video Camera, iPod Video, Aftermarket Navigation Or Other AV Source To Your Car's OEM GPS Navigation Headunit - LCD Screen Display - Nav System.
at a cost of $239. vs the $1000 plus.

I have Navigation in my car and all I want to be able to do is see what's going on when I shift into reverse.

Tom @ EAS also has another option:
Video Source Module for $399

Link:eas - 714.369.8524 | eas - Video Source Module (VSM) for BMW - Core System

And lastly, a REAL cheapo solution ($50), but it makes sense as to what it does..
Car Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for BMW 3/5 Series - eBay (item 220558705625 end time Apr-19-10 08:59:02 PDT)

Firsts, I need some advice on what to buy...
Second, I need someone who can help me install it whilst we're in CT (I'm happy to come early, leave late, whatever..) I'll bring a fully charged portable Makita drill and extra Makita battery just in case a hole needs to get drilled, plus any other tools recommended.

If this needs to be a cash exchange instead of a free meal, I have no objections..I saw some serious headlights upgrades with ballasts and all last time, so that is what prompted this inquiry.

BTW, if YOU have any of these parts I need for sale, send me a PM and maybe we can help each other out !!

Thank you in advance.. I realize it's supposed to be a day of fun, not tech, but there is no harm in asking.. My only request is that you know what you are doing., and have done it before. (It's a long walk back to NJ if we cross a wire and set the X on fire (heaven forbid)).

Regards
Ed

PS. If the Crabshack is the wrong place, but you are still interested, I am open to suggestions and I have an oversize garage to work in if you wanted to come to my house. Thank you in advance !

PPS. Patty and I just found out we'll be grandparents (for the first time) in October !!

Last edited by X5 Meister; 05-14-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Sponsored Links