View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM

ngcreese is on a distinguished road
Here are some pics of our X3...

Was out at the park, so I figured it was a good time to snap some pics.

Our X3 came with Premium & Cold weather packages, plus the panoramic sunroof, Hill Descent & Dynamic Traction Control, Parking Distance Control, Tire pressure sensors, Sirrius Satellite Radio, electric fold in mirrors w/ park assist and the adaptive HID xenon headlights. I happened to find the ski bag and movable tie down anchors underneath the rear floor board compartment, still in their packaging. I bought the alternate center dash board with the garmin ball mount.... just waiting for that 3790t to drop in price a little...

There is that seatbelt issue where I just keep the passenger's seat belt buckled else the warning tone will ring... I wonder what it takes to get that fixed.

Bought the parts at the BMW parts counter and changed the rear rotors and brakes pads, one evening. Only took about 45 mins a side. My Mechanic was right, if I had waited much longer I would have had to change the wear sensor too. That wouldn't have been fun, since the plug is under some plastic panel on the passenger's side. By comparison, it looks like the used car shop must have changed the front brakes before I bought the car... that'll work for me.

Trailer Hitch Closeup Shots...
Following the instructions, taking off the plastic bumper, dismounting the orginal crash bar, bolting up the trailer hitch, running the wire harness and replacing the plastic bumper took all of 2 and a half hours.

Things I found useful to have during this work...
A torque wrench for the hitch install.
Threadlock fluid for the trailer hitch bolts... 71Nm is not a lot of force.
A blanket to put on the ground under the bumper in case it fell off during the remount.
A utility knife, for the trimming of the trailer hitch flap.

On top of the two and a half hours, I did slow down and take my time to get a really nice and clean cut out around the trailer hitch. The nice part about this, is the removeable flap is made of very soft material that cuts easily with a utility knife.

In order for the trailer flap to attach properly to the bumper, I needed to trim off some the trailer electric socket cover's handle. I believe about 2 to 4mm of the handle was cut off using my dremel tool.

After the initial cuts I took some more time to shave off additional material to get a REALLY nice finish on the trim job. The guys over at the BMW shop were impressed.

Hope you like the pics!!

BMWCCA Member... 20% off BMW Parts, 10% off BMW Labor... best $50 / year you'll ever spend!

Last edited by ngcreese; 07-18-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Sponsored Links