View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 04:50 AM

Pepsimax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
Your AWD system would continue to work if you had a non x-drive model, 2003 or prior. Since you list a 2005 model in your signature, that means you don't have a permanent 38/62 torque split front/rear, yours is variable. And that means that if you have a fault on a wheel speed sensor, you won't necessarily have AWD any longer.
This is not correct. My AWD does not work when abs dsc and brake lights are lit. I have a 2001 mod.

I have the same issues, more or less, as you have. And this is the second time in about a year. The first time it started with the lights coming on every once in a while. After a while they would come on every time I drove after a short distance and eventually I lost speedo and trip and stuff too. It was the rear left abs sensor.

This time I have replaced control arm and my steering wheel is offset. Front wheels need alignment. In this case I believe the reason for the lamps to be lit are due to steering angle sensor needs calibration along with a wheel alignment. The dealer agrees with my conclusion. Steering angle ssensor calibration is part of wheel alignment procedure, but not all workshops are able to perform it. They have to have the BMW software to do it. My lamps light up after a couple of miles of driving and I loose awd, abs and dsc. Not an ideal situation as I live in Norway and there is plenty of snow here..

In your case it is hard to isolate the fault. I agree with the above poster that it would be natural to suspect one of the abs sensors at the wheels. You can test them with a multimeter from the abs module, or you could have the faults read at the dealer. I have posted the pinout for the Bosch 5.7 module if that's the one in your car.

Sponsored Links